Presenter: Heather Blanton – Wise County Public Schools – Mathematics Coach
Presentation at – http://www.slideshare.net/hblanton/twitter-me-this – Tools to create your Personal Learning Network
Idea of PLNs – not new – technology just makes them easier – and you can spend as much or as little time as you want
What is a PLN?
- PLNs are about what YOU are interested in
- Group of folks you can collaborate with
- Where is your network? – With technology comes from all over the world! Can tap in to the knowledge from everywhere and any time – limitless
- There’s a lot of variety in how to build your PLN
- Opportunity for differentiated Professional Development – interesting thought – Your PLN IS tailored to YOUR needs
Vide0 – A Brave New World Wide Web (Find Teachertube version so it will open in school)
- “The dumbest tool you’ll ever love…”
- In last year’s conference – pulled FIVE(!) pages of resources from people in Twitter PLN
- Sometimes the best professional development does not occur in the sessions, but in the “backchannels” on Twitter and over lunch/dinner
- Twitter has transformed how news is being reported
How do you build your network? – Who do you follow?
- MUVE – multi-user virtual environment
- VSTE Island in SL has a Jamestown simulation! Very cool – Avatar (in life digital persona) can actually visit and explore! – http://vsteonline.ning.com/group/secondlifevstemembers
- http://vsteonline.ning.com/video/vste-jamestown-settlement – video about Jamestown settlement in SL
- There ARE teen islands in Teen SL where different schools are running different projects – creation of civilization/society experiments and projects – good for government and life skills?
- VSTE members who are running VSTE Island in SL – very active and helpful!
- “Connecting Learners the world over…”
- VSTE Webinar Series – not free, but not too expensive, and they are good
- Classroom 2.0 Live
- ISTE Webinar Series
Additional resources on last slide in presentation (see above link)